9.2.10

the here and now

You never wake up knowing that today is going to include a breakdown. Life and your day are going along as usual until one comment, one realization, one test grade throws everything off kilter. One frustration or fear leads to another and soon you've built up every doubt, fear, and uncertainty remotely plausible about yourself. And worse, you let yourself believe it all.

Yesterday, I allowed a disappointing test grade to lead an influx of fears about the future to invade my present mind and day. A friend helped me realize that for the past few weeks, I've been so focused on the dwindling of undergraduate days that I haven't been focused on the here and now. I've been thinking way too much about where I'll be in six months instead of remembering where I am right now. I'm here now. And even more awesome, I'll be here tomorrow as well.

Being mindful of the future and responsibly planning for it is important, but for now, I think I'm going to keep my eyes fixed here and glance up from time to time at the future there. Remember, there's so much beauty in this moment and this day. Every day, I'm going to consciously make the decision to stay right here in this day, because tomorrow has enough worries of its own.


A recent here moment, taking pictures for a friend's school project.

No comments:

Post a Comment